Sunday, October 13, 2013

A New Season

It's fall. Leaves are changing color before they make their descent to the ground, the weather is becoming cooler, and the days are getting shorter. Pumpkins and apples abound. Halloween and the sugar induced aftermath is on its way. Clearly a change is coming. It's something we've all experienced before - and often welcome after the sweltering heat of summer.

This past Wednesday, I encountered another change, one that I never anticipated would be a part of my year - or my life, for that matter. I've been given the opportunity to represent my profession and the exceptional teachers of the Mountain State for the next year. It's a role I accept with tremendous pride and responsibility. I want to be the best ambassador for education in West Virginia that I can possibly be, and in the process, hopefully change public perception about the changes and issues that teachers encounter daily in the classroom.

If you met me on the street, you would never peg me as a public figure. I'm quiet - the textbook introvert. I'm also very candid about how I have struggled with speaking and anxiety throughout my life. However, quiet doesn't equate to shy - and my personal flaws aren't going to level me now. I have a role to fulfill, and I intend to do so with the same creativity and passion that I've brought to the classroom for a little over a decade. Within the next few days, be looking to learn more about my goals and message, as well as my "platform"  for the year, Be the Difference.

To keep up with me on social media, I have made my Twitter handle and Instagram wvtoy2014. I also have a YouTube channel, Be the Difference WV, and a Facebook page where I will post pictures of my year, links to my blog, and other positive messages and updates.

This is not going to be easy. I maintain my role as a classroom teacher throughout all of this and what is to come. Part of me still doesn't believe this is all really happening. It astounds me that, this time next year, this blog will be filled with memories and experiences I have yet to imagine. I'm excited, absolutely, but fully aware that this change will impact my life like nothing else has yet to date.

It's a new season. I hope you'll join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment