Saturday, May 17, 2014

Weekend Homework and Back to Almost Normal: Levy Rally, Mineral County, and Shepherd University Teacher Pinning

I wanted to squish the past two weeks into one post. It's just not possible.

Keep in mind that I am a very introverted person. I love to speak to groups, and teach, and be in public for professional purposes, but I value and need time to be alone and recharge. Many people thrive off of crowds and socializing, and I'm not one of them. I use to think that meant there was something wrong with me, but after reading Susan Cain's book Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking, I see the value in just being myself.

This year I put who I am aside and go, go, go. It's kind of like when you need to charge your phone, but don't have time to leave it plugged in, so you charge it just enough to get by, even though the warning light is still on to connect your charger.

Warnings aside, the Sunday after returning from D.C. I was back at it, speaking at the Morgan County Levy Rally at Berkeley Spring State Park. The future of levies across the state this year depended on how things would go in Morgan County. The next morning I interviewed Michael Wilder, an alternative education teacher at Berkeley Springs High School, on the impact of the school levy You can watch the interview at this link. I'm relieved for the teachers and students of Morgan County that the levy passed this week. I'm sure it is a relief to many families employed and with children in the school system.


Beautiful Day!

Superintendent David Banks in the dunk tank :-)


Interviewing Mike Wilder 
Tuesday I was inducted into our local chapter of Alpha Delta Kappa. I speak at their regional conference later in July. On Thursday I headed to Mineral County to speak with fifth graders at Frankfort Middle School about Control Your S.E.L.F. and to celebrate the 2014-15 Mineral County Teacher of the Year, Angie Shanholtz. I also interviewed two former Mineral County teachers of the year for Be the DifferenceWV while I was there in Keyser. As new county teachers of the year are named, I realize this is the beginning of end. The school year is almost over, and while there may be a few events over the summer, this journey is coming to a close - or at least about to go in another direction.
Frankfort Middle School

Interviewing Jeanne Clites

Former Mineral County Teachers of the Year

With 2014-15 Mineral County
Teacher of the Year Angie Shanholtz

...So my "battery" was critically low by Saturday morning. I had to power through it, because I was the keynote speaker at Shepherd University's teacher pinning ceremony. I wish I would have had more time and energy to put into that speech, but you can't live life in reverse. After the ceremony, one of the graduates introduced herself. She was in my Aunt Dawn's last first grade class at Williamsport Elementary and will be a first grade teacher herself in the fall. That was just as special as meeting the president. You can hear my speech at this link.
With Cara Jeffries, Kappa Delta Pi and SESA President, after my speech.
She has been wonderful this year arranging my visits at Shepherd.

Hannah Cole, one of Dawn's last students

From Sunday to Saturday, I was a part of a lot of other's milestones and celebrations. I'm looking forward to having the next few weekends to recharge and wrap up my eleventh year of teaching - a year that has encompassed more experiences and people than I ever could have imagined.



No comments:

Post a Comment