Saturday, May 3, 2014

Week Before Washington, Part 2: Marshall University and Geneva Kent Elementary

I know. I really, really want to tell you all about Washington Recognition Week - but first I have to get caught up on everything that happened before D.C. After I stopped at Wesleyan to meet Senator Rockefeller, I headed to Marshall University in Huntington to spend two days speaking to their education students about classroom management and Web 2.0 tools. At 5 1/2 hours away, this is the farthest west I have ever traveled in the state. Marshall's campus is beautiful and full of history, which did nothing to ease my picture taking habit. Smartphones just make it too easy to capture everything and push it out on social media in a moment's time - but the upside is that I can share even more with those following my year. So...let's go on a campus tour :-)
Old Main

Statue of John Marshall, the 4th Chief Justice of the United States

Memorial fountain in honor of those killed in the 1970 plane crash

One of the many bells on campus

Bust of John Marshall facing Old Main (prior to the plan crash, he faced outward onto the city of Huntington)

Okay...where's Berkeley?
On Wednesday I did a question and answer session with a literacy class, then met several of the education professors and toured the campus (the 1988 West Virginia Teacher of the Year, Teresa Eagle, is the Dean of the College of Education). In the afternoon, I did my classroom management session and a presentation on grant writing and Web 2.0 tools. The next day, I went to Geneva Kent Elementary to share Berkeley with two Kindergarten classes, then went back to Marshall to meet with student teachers presenting their capstone projects. In the afternoon, I presented my classroom management session twice before heading home to Martinsburg.

Geneva Kent Elementary

"Berkeley, did you photo shop your picture into all my slides...again?"

Some of the capstone projects

With Krysalea, the wonderful graduate assistant that took me around campus
I'm very appreciative to Dr. Watson and Dr. Eagle for hosting me at Marshall. I learned much about their education program (as I have from all of the colleges I have visited this year) and was impressed with what their teacher education students learn during their course of study. But wait! I'm not done telling you about my Marshall experience just yet. You see, there is something outside of Jenkins Hall that I was not expecting to see during my experience, but I am so, so glad that I did! No, not Marco, although I saw him, too. What could it possibly be?!?! Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment